Want to know what’s special about these cupcakes???
Well for one, they are my first batch that were ordered and SOLD! EEEEEK!!!!
Susan ordered them for her Niece’s graduation party, along with a bunch of candy cups to contribute to my fundraising goal!
So, confession: I was ridiculously nervous about this! Sure, I love to bake and share my recipes, and invite people over to
help me not inhale 7 servings of my food enjoy my food with me, but am I really good enough for someone to pay for it??? I honestly still don’t even really consider myself a cook, or a baker, or much of anything, other than someone with a sweet tooth the size of Canada. This was a big and scary step! The good news? They came back to rave reviews!!
Everyone I know goes crazy over chocolate covered strawberries. Me? I don’t like strawberries. Not a bit. However, my taste tester said they were delicious, soft and fluffy with the perfect strawberry flavor. The perfect strawberry flavor for me would be not, but I kind of liked that because it meant I consumed way less batter during the process. The frosting…well that’s an other story. It’s my favorite.
You know what else? I took all of these photos myself! Check out my rude husband taking all the credit with his signature To be fair, he did help me get everything set up, but then it was all me! I’m learning, and I’m really enjoying getting better at the photography!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
yield approx 2 dozen
For the cupcakes:
adapted from Eat Live Run
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 1/3 cups pureed fresh strawberries (from about 2 cups whole strawberries—puree in a blender until smooth)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- zest from one large lemon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (or 3 more egg whites)
- 4 egg whites
- 3 x 8 oz blocks reduced fat cream cheese (you could also use fat free, I just had red fat on hand)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 oz grain sweetened chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkles for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake tins, and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pureed strawberries, lemon zest, milk and vanilla. Also set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together applesauce, sugar and egg substitute. Add egg whites one at a time, beating after each, until combined. Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the wet strawberry ingredients to the sugar mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared cupcake tins (I used a cookie scoop). Bake for 25-27 minutes or until golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer immediately to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl , beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla extract.
- Add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating on low speed, followed by cocoa powder.
- Increase to medium speed and add melted chocolate. Beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl often.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes, then top with sprinkles if desired.