You know that go-to outfit that you can always count on when you don’t know what to wear? The one that always looks cute, is super comfortable, and always makes you feel like a million bucks? This salad is like that. Except, I wouldn’t wear it. That would be such a waste of so much deliciousness.
It doesn’t require much explanation. What I can tell you is I have made this more often than any other meal. Ever. I never thought to photograph and post it because it seems so simple and straight forward, but it’s easy to forget that it is those easy and straight forward recipes that I didn’t have back in the day, and those exact recipes that helped me finally be able to lose weight and kick my Taco Bell habit for good.
You can add/subtract whatever you want really. You can use a store bought taco seasoning or make your own, and you can include whichever fresh veggies make your heart happy. I always use romain hearts as the base for crunch, and add cucumber and tomatoes. A lot of times I add chopped carrots, and tons of extra cilantro. Some avocado pieces never hurt, either. Really, there’s no wrong way to make this salad.
Okay, there is ONE wrong way–inside a greasy, deep-fried taco shell. I mean, what is even the point of that thing??? Oh, and also, don’t omit the cinnamon. I know it sounds crazy, but it will take the flavor of your taco salad to the next level. It will become your taco salad secret weapon. Like a ninja. Okay, I’m done.
Ridiculously easy, healthy and delicious taco salad. My go-to meal that I continue to make over and over again.
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 20 oz ground turkey breast (or 93% lean ground turkey, or 96% lean ground beef)
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning (preferably homemade, or at least reduced sodium variety)
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 romain hearts, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large or 2 persian cucumbers, sliced
- Reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Heat onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until turkey is fully browned. Add taco seasoning and cinnamon. Slowly add water until the meat has reached your desired level of liquid (some will cook out, so add a little more than you'd think). Increase heat to bring liquid to a light boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat beans in a small sauce pan over medium heat until fully warmed.
- Place chopped romain in large serving bowls. Layer with cooked meat, beans and fresh veggies. Add any desired toppings.