My mind has officially checked out into summer vacation land. Technically, I have 2 more days of classes before it becomes official, but mentally I am….so….there. And let’s face it, I’ve been there for a couple of weeks now.
There is something about summer when you work on the school calendar. I still work hard over the summer, but it all seems like so much FUN. Maybe it’s knowing it’s all only temporary, and eventually you will all go back to “real life”, but I just love it. Despite the hear here in Phoenix, it’s probably my favorite time of year.
It seems like no matter what I have on my meal plan these days, nothing sounds better than grilling up some burgers and eating dinner by the pool. It just makes my heart happy. Not to mention the flavor combinations for burgers are pretty much endless, leaving you with burger after burger recipe. Sorry I’m not sorry.
I do have a pretty sweet side dish coming your way later this week that you can eat along side these burgers during your Memorial Day festivities.
Simple and easy spicy chipotle cheeseburgers are a perfect way to kick up your summer grilling!
- 1 lb 96% lean ground beef (or lean ground turkey)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Whole grain buns (whole wheat, brown rice, etc.)
- Sliced roma tomato
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese
- To make the burgers, combine beef, chopped chipotle pepper and salt in a large bowl. Create 4 evenly sized patties. Gently press each patty down in the center with your thumb to create an indent--this promotes even cooking. Grill to desired doneness, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- To make the sauce, blend Greek yogurt and chipotle pepper in a food processor or blender until well combined.
- To assemble burgers, spread sauce onto the top side of the bun. Top bottom half with lettuce, burger, cheese and tomato slices (or whatever you'd like--it's your burger!) and finish off with the top half of the bun. Serve immediately. Leftover meat patties can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.