Today I want to tell you about how embarrassing my busband is.
Yesterday he got into an argument with a lady at the store. Apparently, she gave him a dirty look, and he thought this was a good reason to cause a scene and argue with her right in the middle of the grocery store. Clearly, he’s really mature. 😉
Luckily, I wasn’t with him. I only felt embarrassed hearing the story. You see, he is totally the type to just say whatever is on his mind, which is, like, the opposite of me. I am the type that when I say the wrong thing, I still think about it, and analyze it months later.
I suppose I should be less embarrassed, and more grateful that I have a husband who never minds running out to the store for whatever crazy ingredients I need at the moment. You see, I am also the type of person who forgets everything. I’m really type A about some things, but not normal things. I make lists, but I don’t follow them. I hate mess, but I’m messy. Sometimes, I don’t even understand myself!
You know what else I don’t understand? Dates. How do they make things so sweet, and delicious when you don’t add any sugar??? And WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN DOING THIS FOREVER AND EVER????? The thing is, my sweet tooth has gotten totally out of control, and I’m not running right now to at least balance out all the sugar I want to eat ALL THE TIME, so something needs to give. My friend Heidi is always making all sorts of delicious treats that are only sweetened by dates, then the other day Sally made some that looked amazing too.
Then, I went to Whole Foods, and they had samples of something pretty similar, and it literally tasted JUST LIKE COOKIE DOUGH. I looked at the ingredients, took it as a sign, and went right home to my food processor.
You guys, THEY TASTE JUST LIKE COOKIE DOUGH!!! Not like the “oh these taste pretty good for healthy food” or in the way a Larabar says it tastes like cookie dough, but really just tastes like a delicious snack; no–these taste like legit cookie dough, and the 8 that came out of my batch lasted about a day. Soft, chewy, cinnamony goodness that is totally good for you. I’m in so much love. I made these Wednesday, and it took me all of 36 hours to share them with you!
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Bites
- 3/4 cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp butter extract
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter, or sunflower butter, or whatever kind you like)
- 1 tbsp chopped roasted almonds (or any nut of choice)
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp rolled oats (use gluten-free if that’s important to you)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- finely shredded reduced fat unsweetened coconut for rolling (optional, but recommended)
- Blend dates and extracts in your food processor until they form a sticky ball, about 4-5 minutes. Add almond butter, and continue to process until combined. Add almonds, salt, cinnamon and oats, and process for 1-2 more minutes, until everything is sticking together.
- Remove dough from food processor. Use you hands to fold in raisins.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls. If desired, roll in coconut. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.