Helllloooo sandwich. Do you guys ever go to Schlotsky’s? When I was in high school, I would always drive over to my best friend’s house and pick up Schlotsky’s sandwiches for us. My staple? White bread, pastrami, swiss and thousand island. Kinda like a rueben, but with only the good parts.
I have missed that sandwich. These days, I’m much more of a hummus, veggies and goat cheese sandwich girl, but every once in a while I crave that salty pastrami, melty cheese, and sweet and creamy thousand island. It’s like sandwich heaven.
It’s one of those things that I just can’t seem to justify at a restaurant when I know I can make it 10x healthier myself. Not to mention, it takes about 15 minutes, including the time it took to make the dressing.
I definitely don’t have the patience for anything time consuming around lunch time. I just want the quickest and most delicious way to get a sandwich to my face, and this baby tastes like the real deal–just like that big, juicy sandwich I remember, but with a list of healthy, protein-packed ingredients that will keep you full until dinner time!
- 2 slices whole grain bread (whole wheat, Ezekiel, brown rice, etc.)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fat free thousand island
- 3 oz sliced turkey pastrami (I used Boar's Head found at Fry's/Kroger)
- 1 slice reduced fat swiss cheese
- 1/2 roma tomato, sliced
- small handful mixed greens
- Heat a medium grill pan (or regular sautee pan) over medium-low. Spray with nonstick spray.
- While your grill pan heats, spread dijon mustard on one slice of bread. Spread your thousand island on the other. Top the dijon side with turkey pastrami, followed by tomato. Top the thousand island side with cheese.
- Cook sandwich open faced until bread cheese begins to melt and bread is golden brown on the bottom. Add mixed greens on top of tomato and place your other slice of bread on top, cheese side down. Grill for an additional 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.