So I’ve been really mad that it’s summer time. Lots of whining and complaining about the heat, and how it affects my running, and blah blah blah. But I forgot how much I LOVE some things about summer! Like burgers!
Tuesday evening, Jason came over with my dog niece and nephew, and we seriously had the best time playing around outside with the puppies. They got so hyped up about the pool!
Every time Jason was in the pool and would make eye contact with Nico, she would immediately go crazy and start barking, and then all the other dogs would start going crazy too.
Anyway, before all the fun dog playing, there were seriously amazing, delicious burgers.
Made with extra lean ground turkey, and homemade Thai peanut sauce.
Savory and spicy, with just a hint of sweetness.
Have I ever mentioned how much I also love Thai food? Give me some take out Chicken Pad Thai with extra cilantro, and I am a happy girl. I used to eat it all the time because someone told me Thai food was healthy once. Now, I figure out my own ways to use the flavors that are actually healthy, and not 7 servings of noodles 😉
Also, if you are one of those people who loves a beef burger, and thinks turkey burger are dry and gross (ahem…Steve), try these turkey burgers. I haven’t always loved the ones I’ve made at home (why do they never seem to turn out like the one at Zin Burger??), but I absolutely freaking love these. Like I can’t wait to make them every day for the rest of
the summer my life kind of love.
Thai Peanut Turkey Burgers
yield 5 servings
- 20 oz ground turkey breast
- 1 tbs egg substitute
- 1/2 cup diced onion + more for topping
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper + more for topping
- 2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro + more for topping
- 1 tbs peanut butter
- 1 tbs Better’n Peanut Butter (or pb2, or more regular peanut butter)
- 1 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce (use gluten-free is applicable)
- 1 1/2-2 tsp chili paste
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2-1 tbs Sriracha
- 5 100% whole grain hamburger buns (whole wheat, brown rice, etc.), toasted
- crushed peanuts, sliced scallions, and bean sprouts for topping
- Preheat grill. In a large bowl, combine ground turkey breast, egg substitute, onion, bell pepper, and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, Better’n Peanut Butter, soy sauce, chili paste, lime juice, and honey. Pour 2 tsp of sauce mixture into turkey mixture, and set the rest aside.
- Thoroughly combine turkey mixture and sauce (I recommend getting in there with your hands!), and form into 5 even patties. Press lightly in the center of each patty with your thumb, so they are slightly thicker on the edges to ensure even cooking.
Send your husband outside toGrill until cooked throughout (approx 5 minutes per side). Meanwhile, add Greek yogurt and Sriracha to leftover peanut sauce, and mix until well combined.
- Place cooked patties on toasted wheat buns, then top with yogurt peanut sauce, crushed peanuts, sliced scallions, bean sprouts, and extra onions, bell peppers and cilantro.