You guys, life has been so busy lately. I don’t know how some people take all of these trips and still manage to get things done in life. I’ve been coming and going since June, and I’m just kind of ready to stay put for a little while. I mean, I wouldn’t trade any of my recent trips for the world, but I am tiiiiired. And I haven’t cooked real food in, like, 2 weeks.
I mean, I have 5 zillion recipes that literally only take a matter of minutes to prepare, but I just cannot get on the ball. I know that once I just force myself to make it happen, I will remember that I actually like cooking. Not to mention, I have soooo many fall recipes floating around in my head.
Until then, coleslaw counts as dinner, right? Okay, maybe not, but it certainly does count for an insanely easy side dish packed full of veggies and nutrients. I don’t think I really like the word nutrients. It sounds ugly to me. Is that weird? Have I ever told you about my friend who doesn’t like the word cube (miss you, John!)?
Anyway, this slaw…it is the easiest thing you will ever make, and it is insanely delicious. Bold and spicy Mexican flavors with some honey (or agave) for a touch of sweetness, and I am a firm believer that cumin and cilantro make everything better. You could top some delicious homemade tacos with this, add some grilled chicken or black beans to make it a full meal, or even just simply eat it as a snack or side dish.
Simple., easy, spicy and bold Mexican coleslaw--the perfect side dish for some fajitas or great for topping your homemade tacos!
- 12 oz slaw mix
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (remove ribs for less spice)
- Handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave)
- pinch cumin
- generous pinch each salt and pepper
- Add slaw mix, onion, jalapeno and cilantro to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice and honey. Add to your slaw mix and season with cumin, salt and pepper. Toss until fully coated. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an air tight container for 3-5 days.
Feel free to add in chopped red pepper, or any extra veggies you'd like.