These whoopie pies are intense. Believe it or not, I am not a super chocolatey dessert person. I like chocolate, but I don’t prefer it to be the base flavor. Unless it’s white chocolate. Maybe next time I will experiment with white chocolate and peanut butter. That sounds amazing. Anyway, these are rich, chocolatey and especially delicious if you are a chocolate lover. Don’t get me wrong, I would still happily eat the entire batch
in one sitting 😉
Double Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Pies
yield approx 3 dozen
For the cakes:
- 1/2 cup light whipped butter
- 1/2 cup fat free or reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup Splenda
- 1 packet Starbucks via
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup dutch process cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups reduced fat buttermilk
- 2 candy canes, crushed
For the filling:
- 1 10 oz bag Sunspire white chocolate chips
- 1 tbs light whipped butter
- 1/4-1/3 cup 2 % milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat together butter, sugar, Splenda, via, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla until smooth Beat in egg substitute. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add in flour and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour, scraping down sides of bowl when necessary. Mix until no lumps remain.
- Drop rounded tablespoon sized balls onto prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly (I used a sprayed piece of parchment paper to flatten to avoid sticking).
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until cakes spring back when you press lightly with your fingers.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt white chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Stir in peppermint. Slowly, add 1/4-1/3 cup milk. Cool completely in refrigerator.
- Spread a little white chocolate on the flat side of one cookie, top with the flat side of a second and press together. Repeat with all cookies.