That sounds weird, right?
But think about it. Cookies are good. Starburst are good.
You like fruit in your cookies. Starbursts are like fruit, but bad for you. But don’t worry, the cookie part if less than bad for you, so it all evens out. Trust me.
Did you know that now there are packages of Starburst that come with just the red and pink ones??? Amazing. Is there any reason to eat a fruit flavored candy that isn’t red or pink? Like gummy bears…why do they even make the other colors? Why can’t they just stick to the red ones?!
You know what I think is weird? Gummy bears in ice cream! I do not prefer that. The cold ice cream makes them hard, and not gummy at all really. But a warm cookie makes a Starburst warm and gooey, like when you put taffy in the microwave. Yummmm.
Taffy, on the other hand, should only come in yellow. But that’s neither here nor there. As it turns out, Starburst inside a cookie is actually not weird, but delicious.
Especially if the cookie gets just a little crunch on the outside. Then all the textures and flavors work out in harmony and all that crap. Yes, my cookies are freaking harmonious. What are your cookies? Just melodic? Pssshhhh. Okay, I’m sorry. I had a music nerd baker moment. Don’t give up–LOOK AT THE COOKIES!!
yield 1 dozen
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbs light whipped butter, softened
- 3 tbs turbinado sugar
- 3 tbs Splenda
- 1 tbs egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 Starburst candies
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, sugar, and Splenda until smooth. Beat in egg substitute and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and stuff each dough ball with 1 Starburst. Re-roll dough around Starburst, so that it is completely covered, then place on prepared cookie sheet,
- Bake 8 to 10 min, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet for 2 min before serving.
- Serve warm, fresh out of the oven for optimal Starburst consistency. If you make them ahead of time, you may wish to rewarm before serving.