Hi friends! I have been waiting for Starbucks’ official Christmas launch to make the cupcakes that have been on my mind since October! I would just like to say that with all the promoting I do, Starbucks should sponsor this blog or something haha. Hey there Starbucks execs…want to pay me to turn your delicious drinks into healthier baked goods? Let’s make that happen. I woke up yesterday bright and early (shocker…the idea of sleeping in is completely lost on me) and ready to bake!
Let’s pretend those extra laugh lines up there are just because it was early and my skin wasn’t quite awake yet. Oh well, at least they’re not frown lines. Anyway, moving on! Steve and I headed over to the bux to get some fresh coffee and via for the cupcakes and some coffee for ourselves. My recent order now that it’s cold outside: Grande bold coffee, 1 pump sf mocha, 1 pump sf peppermint, 2 pumps sf vanilla, steamed soy. Not a misto–that is like half milk, just with soy milk that is steamed and foamy. Tastes just like a peppermint mocha! Delicious. You have to get over the embarrassment of a complicated order, but it’s worth it 😉
We came home and got right to the baking, while Winnie and Clem got right to their business: being cute.
“Mom, where are my cupcakes?”
Clementine lately has been really into humping Winston. She really wants to be the boss these days and it always cracks us up because he is so much bigger than her!
Winston is just like “yeah, okay, do what you want. I’m still the boss around here.”
Okaaayyyy, onto the cupcakes!
Skinnified Peppermint White Mocha Cupcakes
yield 36 mini cupcakes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1 1/2 packets Starbucks via (or any instant coffee)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz grain sweetened white chocolate + 36 chips
- 1/4 cup strong coffee, + extra for brushing
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 350, line 36 mini muffin tins and spray inside liners (otherwise they will stick).
2. In mixer, combine flour, sugar, Splenda, via and salt.
3. Melt chocolate with coffee. Allow to cool slightly.
4. Add melted chocolate mixture to flour mixture and mix lightly.
5. Add yogurt, vanilla, peppermint, baking soda and egg whites and beat for 2 minutes.
6. Fill muffin tins 1/2 way to top, place 1 white chocolate chip in center, then fill up until they are 3/4 full (I pour it all into a freezer bag and cut a tiny hole in the corner).
7. Bake for 24 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
8. Using a toothpick, poke several holes in each cupcake and brush with coffee.
9. Cool completely and frost with peppermint cream cheese frosting.
from Gimme Some Oven
- 8 oz. (1 brick) cream cheese, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar (depending on the thickness you’d like)
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- Low fat cream cheese for regular (-fat, -calories)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar for 3-4 (-sugar, -calories)
- 2 tbs light whipped butter for 4 regular (-fat, -calories)
Skinnified Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
yield frosting for 40-50 mini cupcakes
- 8 oz. (1 brick) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbs light whipped butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1. Beat cream cheese, butter and extracts.
2. Slowly add powdered sugar, scraping down sides of bowl when necessary.
3. Transfer to freezer bag (or pastry bag if you’re fancy), cut small hole in the corner of the bag and frost!
C is for Clementine, W for Winston, S for Steve and A for Ari! Steve didn’t figure that one out right away 😉 and the heart is for love–duhhh! Yeah, I’m a cheeseball
Oh yeah, top with sprinkles! It makes it more fun! Pink for peppermint, brown for chocolate. I am so original 😉
They were soooo yummy! We had to take them immediately to our friends at the Bux and my mom so that our whole kitchen didn’t look like this
I also made regular peppermint mocha ones which I loved ALMOST as much. I just love white chocolate. Recipe coming soon. And before the season if over, you know there will be gingerbread latte (prob my fav Starbucks drink!), eggnog latte and caramel brulee latte treats coming your way. Stay tuned friends!