You know, for the longest time I never ate coleslaw. I always thought it was really gross. Cabbage and mayo?? I’m really not sure where the appeal comes from, but Steve and my mom are both huge fans (weirdos), so one night when I was grilling up some hot dogs, I decided to try to make some coleslaw that was actually appealing.
I’m pretty much convinced that Greek yogurt is the cure for all things. I have never made a dish and then thought “Man, it would have been so much better if I had left off the Greek yogurt.” Perhaps I am weirdly obsessed, but it really is a magical food.
So I made coleslaw, which I thought I hated. But then I loved it. Steve was a little confused by the texture. He said coleslaw is usually more runny. That sounds gross. Thick, creamy, delicious, and packed with protein and veggies–now it really is the perfect side for your summer grilling!
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 5 cups coleslaw veggie mix*
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper until combined. Stir in coleslaw mix. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
*Feel free to use fresh cabbage and carrots (or whatever shaved veggies you'd like) to create your own mix. I bought a bag at the store because it was easy, but I'm sure it would be even better with fresh produce!