Hi everyone! Man, the weekend seems like a total blur. Today was day 7 of my 33 straight work days. Craziness is beginning to set in especially considering Fiddler officially began today with the audition workshop. Only 26 days left 🙂 Needless to say, not a lot of cooking has been going on in my kitchen, well at least not a lot of exciting cooking, but I did manage to pull out something quick and delicious yesterday morning that filled my sweet and salty craving!
Back in the day, one of my favorite things to order at a restaurant was pancakes with over medium eggs and bacon that I would put on top and cover the whole thing with maple syrup. I LOVE sweet and salty combinations! Salted caramel mocha? The vain of my existence right now. There is no way to make that drink healthy. I’ve been through it in my head 100 times. But this breakfast totally did the trick. Not to mention is was ready in about 15 minutes.
- 2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 6 slices of bacon, sliced horizontally and then diced
- 1/2 recipe (-temptation)
- Whole wheat pastry flour for all purpose flour (+protein, +fiber)
- Red fat buttermilk for regular (-fat, -calories)
- Brown sugar and Splenda for sugar (I think I forgot to half the sugar part so honestly calorie and sugar wise it was the same as the original, but I would probably do it that way again and I prefer brown sugar to regular)
- Egg whites for whole eggs (-fat, -calories, -cholesterol)
- Cooking spray for butter (-fat, -calories, -saturated fat)
- Center cut or turkey bacon for regular (-fat, -calories, – saturated fat)
- + 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (+protein)
- + vanilla extract (+yum)
- + maple extract (+yum)
Skinnified Maple Bacon Pancakes
yield 3 servings
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- dash salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp splenda
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup red fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 3 slices center cut or turkey bacon, diced
- Syrup (I always use sf maple syrup)
- Chia seeds (I wish I would have added these during the cooking! I forgot 🙁 )
1) Cook bacon in a sprayed nonstick pan. Transfer to paper towel to cool.
2) Combine dry ingredients.
3) Add wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix!
4) Let stand for 10 minutes, then fold in bacon.
5) Cook on sprayed non stick pan until bottom is golden brown and top begins to bubble.
6) Flip, and cook until bottom is golden brown.
7) Top, serve and enjoy!
It’s weird–I like my desserts small so I an eat more than one, but I love to just eat one big pancake.
I’ve really improved on my pancake flipping skillz!
Steve topped his with sf syrup and light whipped butter
I topped mine with non fat vanilla Greek yogurt and low fat vanilla almond granola–so good!