You guys. You don’t even understand. I think this might be my favorite thing I have ever made. Ever. I would rather eat 1 of these than 10 full fat Paradise Bakery cookies. I took one bite and between the perfectly crunchy outside, softy doughy inside, and warm sweet jelly, I was pretty much in cookie heaven. I think this honey apple butter is pretty much the best butter substitute I have ever used. Thanks Carolyn!
I also made these start to finish in about half an hour. They were so easy. It was one of those rare baking times where everything just turns out the way you want it. Happy birthday to me!
Adapted from Pip & Ebby
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies
yield approx 16 cookies
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash salt
- 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- approx 8 tbsp jelly/jam of choice (I used reduced sugar grape, no sugar added blackberry, and fig butter and I loved all 3)
- 2-3 tbs whole wheat graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, beat apple butter, peanut butter, sugars, almond milk and vanilla.
- Beat in baking soda and salt. Beat in flour until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or sprayed tablespoon to drop cookies onto a large baking sheet.
- Using your thumb, press down into the center of each cookie dough ball. Fill each center with jelly of choice. Sprinkle all cookies with graham cracker crumbs
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.