Ultra soft and tender banana bread swirled with cinnamon brown sugar and topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar crust. This banana bread is so irresistible, you’d never guess it’s healthy, vegan & gluten-free!
I have this problem. When I like something, I really like it. Like the can’t get enough, want to revolve my entire life around it kind of like it. It’s kinda like how if we become friends and I think you’re really cool, I just want to hang out with you all the time and never leave your side. Some people call that “creepy”. I just call it being an extrovert and knowing what/who I like. 😉
You may remember that I kinda recently discovered that I like banana bread, and now it’s become that thing I can’t get enough of. Sometimes I purposely don’t eat my bananas so that they can get to that too-ripe stage where I am left with no choice other than making banana bread. It’s kind of a problem.
I keep trying to decide which one is my favorite, but that’s like asking who I love more: Winston or Clementine. I can’t do it. I will say, however, that the “crust” on this loaf makes it incredibly special and unlike any banana bread I’ve ever tasted. It wasn’t even intentional. I had extra cinnamon sugar left over, and I threw it on top. It was one of those perfect surprises–I took it out of the oven and the top was sweet and crunchy while the rest was perfectly tender and pillowy soft.
I happened to have a little extra of this molasses dulce de leche glaze lying around when I made it, so to make things even more ridiculous, I drizzled some on top. It totally doesn’t need it, but if you want to add a little extra umph, it certainly doesn’t hurt. Either way, you’ll find yourself going back for “Just one more slice…” until the loaf magically disappears. 😉
Ultra soft and tender banana bread swirled with cinnamon-sugar and topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar crust. This banana bread is so irresistible, you'd never guess it's healthy, vegan & gluten-free!
- 2 cups gluten-free baking blend (or white whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash salt
- 3 extra ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- heaping 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon brown sugar swirl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together baking blend, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together bananas, coconut oil, sugars and vanilla until well combined. Stir in half the flour mixture, then almond milk, then remaining flour mixture.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon brown sugar mixture on top. Pour remaining batter and top with remaining cinnamon brown sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs, about 50-60 minutes. Set loaf pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to one week. If desired, serve topped with molasses dulce de leche glaze