A healthy twist on a loaded baked sweet potato and potato salad. Looking for more sweet potato recipes? Check these out!
Last month we hosted a barbecue at our house. I like to do a BYOM&B (bring your own meat & booze)–I make all the sides and desserts, and everyone can choose their own meat (or non-meat) and whatever they want to drink. It saves a lot of money, and you don’t have to worry so much about numbers, RSVPs, etc. It can be more laid back, and it makes it easier to invite all your friends.
I created something like 5 new recipes that day, and they all turned out amazing. Let me tell you, that never happens. It was a miracle. For the sides, I made a Thai peanut slaw (coming soon…) and this baby. There was a big debate over which side was better. Nobody could agree, but I can tell you that this was Steve’s favorite. Mine too.
The recipe is super easy, and other than the time spent cooking the potatoes, it comes together in minutes. I just took a little spin with the concept of my loaded baked potato salad, and it was literally love at first bite. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes with salty bacon and tangy goat cheese…uggghhh–it’s just so right.
And I love how this is a side dish that’s perfect for all seasons–it’s perfect for a summer barbecue, but to me the sweet potatoes scream fall, and it’s such an easy dish to throw together that you can literally take it with you to just about any party, or even eat it as a meal for lunch! The Greek yogurt packs it with protein while the sweet potatoes add healthy carbs, and tons of vitamins. It’s literally the best of every world.
Healthy, protein and vitamin packed loaded sweet potato salad with Greek yogurt, goat cheese and center cut bacon
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/2 lb center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 heaping cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (I used and herb goat cheese)
- Generous pinch each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork. Transfer to a large baking dish and cook until softened, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut baked sweet potatoes into 1" cubes. Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and lightly toss until combined. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.