You know that feeling when you’re super excited for a long weekend, but getting ready for it is so stressful that by the time you’re done getting ready for said long weekend, you feel like you need a second long weekend just to recover from it? Yeah…I’m there.
Tomorrow morning (at some hour that shouldn’t even be legal), Nicole and I fly to Minneapolis for the Healthy Living Summit. It seems like we’ve been anticipating this day foreeevvvverrrr, and I can’t believe it’s finally here! This week has been spent getting things taken care of at work, and putting the final touches on our presentation. I’m totally nervous, but mostly excited for the next 4 days!
So in my absence, I leave you this salad. I wasn’t sure if it was a salad or a salsa. I mean, it’s actually nothing like salsa, except it kind of reminds me of a salsa? Kinda like this one. Anyway, I first made this salad when I was staying with my friend Karisa this summer, and one bite in I knew I needed to make it again so I could share it with you guys. It is hands down one of my favorite things I’ve ever eaten. The sweetness from the sweet potatoes against the spicy jalapenos and creamy avocado…ugggghhh, it just all…fits. Like a glove.
This recipe is so simple, and aside from the time spent roasting the potatoes, it all comes together really quickly. Just a few fresh ingredients, and totally fool proof–the perfect side for some grilled chicken or steak for a nice, easy, and healthy weeknight dinner!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large avocados, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp honey or agave
- Preheat oven to 400. Line sweet potatoes out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Roast until tender, but not mushy, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add cooked sweet potato, remaining tablespoon olive oil, avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and honey/agave. Toss together lightly to coat. Serve immediately. May be served warm or cold. Keep leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-5 days.