I have always been a sucker for monster cookies. There are so many ways to make them, but the basic concept includes peanut butter, chocolate chips, M&Ms, and oats. How could you go wrong with those ingredients?! Seriously. I had some at a friend’s birthday and have been dying to make my own ever since. When I noticed that Sunspire had their own version of M&M’s, I bought them immediately knowing monster cookies were on the horizon!
I found the original recipe from Taste of Home
- ¼ cup Better’n Peanut Butter for half the peanut butter (-fat, -calories)
- TJ’s Honey Apple Butter for butter (-fat, -calories, -saturated fat, -cholesterol)
- Splenda* for some of the sugar (-sugar, -calories)
- Egg substitute for whole eggs (-fat, -cholesterol, -calories)
- Rolled oats for quick cooking (just what I buy)
- Sunspire Sun Drops for M&M’s (-sugar, -calories)
- Sunspire grain sweetened chocolate & peanut butter chips for butterscotch chips (-sugar, -calories)
- No peanuts (-fat, -calories, and I don’t like nuts in cookies)
- White whole wheat flour for all-purpose (+fiber, +protein)
- Extra cinnamon & vanilla (+yum)
*Some people feel really strongly about Splenda. You can easily use all sugar real sugar, I just prefer to cut some of the calories.
I was a little nervous about swapping in the Better’n Peanut Butter, but I was amazed at how well it worked!! That stuff is okay on its own, but it doesn’t compare to the real stuff. In baking, however, I would have never even known there was anything different!
PS, what is the difference between Better’n Peanut Butter and PB2? Does anyone know? All the popular bloggers use PB2, but I couldn’t find it 🙁 And obviously, if all the cool kids are doing it, I don’t want to be the lame one using the wrong peanut butter substitute. Clearly, I have really grown up and no longer use junior high mentality 😉
Okay, but back to the cookies…ummmm…they were gone in one day. Actually like 6 hours.
I think Jason may have eaten 4 in one sitting. Don’t judge him. They were really that delicious. And they’re “healthy” so that means you can eat the whole batch, right?
Skinnified Monster Cookies
Yield 2 ½-3 dozen cookies
- 1/4 cup PB & Co White Chocolate Wonderful (you can use regular PB, but this is just my favorite!)
- ¼ cup Better N Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup honey apple butter
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ cup Splenda
- ¼ cup + 2 tbs egg substitute
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup Sunspire Sun Drops
- ¼ cup grain sweetened chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Sunspire peanut butter chips
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, cream peanut butter, Better N Peanut Butter, apple butter, and sugars. Add egg substitute, then baking soda and vanilla.
3. Add oats, M&M’s, butterscotch chips and peanuts; let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in flour.
5. Use a medium cookie scoop cookie dough onto the baking sheet, then use a sprayed piece of wax paper to flatten slightly.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes until edges are golden. Let stand for 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cook completely.