I don’t know about you guys, but I am living in a haze of my post-long-weekend-fun. Did you guys do anything exciting for memorial day? I helped my brother move into his first apartment, celebrated my mom’s birthday, and had an awesome day at Lake Pleasant with Nicole. Oh, and then I spent actual Memorial Day creating recipes, meal planning, grocery shopping, and attempting productivity. Now? I just want to lay around and be lazy.
It’s always those lazy nights that I feel like throwing in the towel and hitting up Chipotle (honestly, does Chipotle EVER not sound good?) that I end up coming up with some of my favorite recipes. A quick survey of the fridge and pantry, throw a few things together in about 5 minutes, stick it in the oven and hope for the best.
I know you guys love recipes like that too. Who wants to cook healthy food if it means spending your entire life in the kitchen? Umm, I love cooking, and that sounds awful even to me! This chicken is breaded and crispy and filled with cheese and jalapeno creating the unmistakable flavor of a jalapeno popper (one of my favorite bar food appetizers) in a healthy, simple dinner. I fell in love with it at first bite, and you better believe it will become one of my I-don’t-feel-like-cooking staples.
Crispy, breaded chicken breast stuffed with roasted jalapeno and cheese. It tastes like a jalapeno popper for dinner!
- 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs (brown rice, whole wheat, etc.)
- dash cayenne pepper
- generous pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 x 6 oz chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1 oz goat cheese (or cream cheese)
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375. Place a cooling rack inside of a cookie sheet and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, cayenne, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Place jalapeno and garlic on a small piece of tin foil. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Broil until softened, about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure the garlic doesn't burn. Roughly chop jalapeno, and finely chop garlic.
- Divide cheese, jalapeno and garlic between the center of the two chicken breasts. Fold chicken back over on top of the fillings. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place beaten egg whites in a large shallow bowl. Drench chicken in egg whites, then coat completely in bread crumb mixture and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake until cooked throughout and juices run clear, about 30 minutes.