I think the happiest day of my life was the day Chipotle started serving brown rice. Maybe you think that makes me a total freak? But if that’s true, you clearly don’t understand my love for Mexican food. I mean, I live in Phoenix. Mexican food is more common than hamburgers.
I’ve always been all about the cheese enchiladas. And quesedillas. Pretty much anything with cheese is sure to be a winner in my book. Did I ever tell you about how when I was younger I would “snack” on blocks of cheddar cheese? In fact, just this morning, I told Steve that cheese was my favorite food group.
I’m pretty sure the abundance of cheese is what fuels my love for Mexican food, which is why it’s often difficult for me to find healthy options. No matter what I say, I cannot convince myself that 11 servings of cheese is “healthy”. It’s really sad. If you can help convince me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Luckily, this dip has the perfect amount of cheesy goodness, but with a lighter touch. Most of the creaminess comes from nonfat plain Greek yogurt and the avocado–the avocado is like my secret weapon. I put it in on a whim, and it ended up totally making the dish! It’s like if you took an enchilada and stuffed it with guacamole–I mean, HOW COULD THAT BE BAD???
This dip is super simple with only a handful of ingredients, and it comes together in minutes. It’s perfect for any party or get together, and the bold flavors and creamy texture are sure to be a hit with whoever you’re serving!
Do you guys do anything to celebrate Cinco De Mayo? My plan usually includes eating Mexican food, drinking margaritas, and apparently, wearing a mustache. You’ll have to check out the video to understand that one. Nicole and I were in a rare form of ridiculousness this episode.
Green chile enchilada dip with creamy avocado, goat cheese and Greek yogurt. Perfectly creamy and cheesy, with a lighter twist.
- 10-12 oz cooked chicken, shredded (I used the meat from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 pint enchilada sauce
- 1 avocado, pitted and skin removed
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping*
- Black olives and green onion for garnish, optional
- Baked corn chips for serving
- Combine chicken, goat cheese, yogurt, enchilada sauce and avocado in a medium pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until all ingredients are melted and combined.
- Transfer to your serving dish (make sure it's oven safe) and top with cheddar cheese (I used about 1/3 cup). Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Top with olives and onion if desired. Serve with chips or veggies.
*I usually use a reduced fat cheddar cheese, but it doesn't melt quite the same. For photos, I used full fat. If you're concerned about appearance, I would encourage a full fat cheese, but if you're purely concerned with taste, reduced fat will still taste great!