Did I ever tell you about the time I ate 3 zucchinis in one sitting because I wanted a snack and was trying to be healthy? I called up one of my best friends and said “I think I just over ate zucchinis. Is that even a thing?” I love them. Sauteed, roasted, grilled, BAKED!
Okay, these muffins taste nothing like zucchinis. Just like carrot cake doesn’t actually taste like carrots. But the zucchinis add some extra veggie goodness, and also produce some of the softest, (insert gross word) and tender muffins I have ever tasted.
As soon as I decided I wanted to make zucchini almond meal muffins, I hit up my girl Gina’s blog for some inspiration. She has the best paleo recipes, and although I don’t eat paleo, I love baking with nut flours, and her blog is always a great place to start. She made some ridiculously good looking zucchini bread that I used as a guideline, but ended up with muffins with chocolate chips inside. Shocking, right?
The muffins tasted EXACTLY like I wanted–lightly sweet, hearty and filling without being heavy. They didn’t last long, and whether you normally use grain-free flours or not, you will absolutely love them!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 3 tbsp natural liquid sweetener of choice (honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini, squeezed dry
- heaping 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- Measure milk in your measuring cup. Add apple cider vinegar and whisk lightly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add almond milk mixture, banana, sweetener, coconut oil, and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter between between 12 prepared muffin molds.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
Adapted from Running to the Kitchen