What? It’s fall where you are? I’m really sorry, but the high here today is still in the triple digits, so I bring you ice cream.
Special creamy coconut milk ice cream that I can share with all my vegan and no dairy friends, because I really like them. This was made special for Bethany who recently gave up dairy and is taking a more paleo approach to eating. This ice cream isn’t paleo–it has sugar, but it is dairy free, and about a billion times more delicious than any soy ice cream I’ve ever tried.
Have I ever mentioned that ice cream is my very favorite thing? Okay, I know I have a lot of very favorite things, but ice cream has been on the list since I was like 1. And I’m kind of old, so that’s a long time. To be honest, light ice creams are tough to make at home. I’ve made a couple I like, but it’s really tough to get the right texture. Coconut milk is so perfectly creamy–it worked as an amazing base, plus the recipe was so simple!
The flavor combination of coconut milk + brown sugar with dark chocolate was ridiculously good. In fact, I ended up having to give the leftovers to my mom and step dad because I knew I couldn’t be trusted. I got the empty container back about 3 days later. I guess they liked it too 😉
- 1x15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4-1/3 cup brown sugar (depending how sweet you like it)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips (if you want to keep it vegan, make sure to buy vegan chips)
- In a medium bowl or blender, combine coconut milk, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Freeze mixture according to ice cream maker instructions.
- After finished churning, fold in chocolate chips before transferring to storing container.