Quick, easy, healthy, gluten-free and vegetarian chili cheese breakfast burritos only have a handful of ingredients, and come together in a snap. Say goodbye to greasy, time consuming breakfast burritos, and say hello to this new and improved version!
It has been SO LONG since I enjoyed a good breakfast burrito! Ever gone out to eat and found a healthy, gluten-free breakfast burrito? Yeah…I didn’t think so. Making my own breakfast burritos seemed like such a daunting task, so just never tried. Then one Sunday morning we had nothing going on and I figured…well, why not?
Turns out it wasn’t that daunting! The whole thing came together in just about half an hour, and it was really pretty easy. The secret is this: do not, I repeat DO NOT overstuff your burrito! Like, seriously. I love to eat, and I like to eat a LOT of food (hello, marathon training), but girrrrrrl, if you put even the amount you think will not be too much in this bad boy, it will be too much. Believe me when I say you want a thin line of the ingredients. I promise, it won’t be too skinny.
The other secret: use cheese as your glue! I put just a little pinch of extra cheese on the first folded part of the tortilla before placing the other half on top – the cheese melts and binds the two sides together like glue. Except more delicious. Magic, delicious cheese glue. Do it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, chopped
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- generous pinch cumin
- 4 medium corn tortillas
- 2 eggs + 4 whites (I used Eggland's Best), scrambled
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup green chilis
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- Generous pinch chopped cilantro, optional
- Heat olive oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and potatoes and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Stir until fragrant and slightly softened. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about an other 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. Take out cooked veggies and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium low and add eggs. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until desired doneness, stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile, heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Place tortilla on your heated grill pan. Add a thin layer of veggies (cooked + raw bell pepper) and cooked eggs. Add cheese, green chilis and cilantro. Fold one half of the tortilla over and add a pinch more cheese to be your "glue". Fold the other side on top and hold down using a fork and light pressure until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve immediately.
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Eggland’s Best.