Fast, easy and cheesy chicken enchilada casserole has all your favorite flavors, but no rolling and stuffing–just stack and bake. It doesn’t get much simpler or much more delicious!
I never realized my Mexican food obsession was even a thing for most of my life. I live in Arizona. Mexican food is basically just food. Not to mention that most Mexican dishes include my favorite food group: CHEESE!
Did I ever tell you about in my “before” days I would go out to eat and then when I’d get full, I would pick all of the cheese off of my dish and leave the rest? I’m pretty sure it was something like #20 in this article. PS: I laughed out loud for so long. Maybe my favorite BuzzFeed article ever?
Anyway, I love enchiladas, but every time I make them, the rolling takes me forevvveeerrrrr, and then they never stay, and I just end up eating a mess of enchilada filling rather than actual enchiladas. So this time I took a different approach and stacked it all up. It stayed together perfectly. I don’t know if I will ever make regular enchiladas again.
This is like you ordered enchiladas, then mixed your whole plate of enchiladas and beans together making it even more awesome, and with practically no work!
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2½ cups enchilada sauce (I used this one, but green or red will work)
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fat free re-fried beans, heated
- ½ cup shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever you like)
- fresh cilantro, optional
- thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9" square pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine shredded chicken with 2 cups enchilada sauce. Line the bottom of prepared 9" pan with 3 tortillas, then add half the beans and half the chicken and enchilada sauce mixture. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beans and chicken. Add remaining ½ cup enchilada sauce on top, then top with shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro and green onions if desired. Serve immediately. Leftovers may be refrigerated in an airtight container for 5-7 days.