So…apparently it’s football season? Or it’s about to be? To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. Sometimes people post things about it on facebook, and as soon as I even read the word football, I immediately think “Ewww” and scroll away.
I went to school at the University of Idaho (yes….Idaho), and football was a BIG deal. We had some big rivalry with Boise State, but our football team was terrible, and I’m pretty sure we never won a single game.
I’m sure it comes as no surprise that I’ve never been a sports person. Like, at all. I was always the un-athletic artsy kid, and even now that I have a tumultuous love affair with endurance sports, I have to admit that I still don’t really enjoy watching any of them. I’ve always said the only reason I wanted to go to any sporting event was for the hot dogs. I’ve never had any problem getting excited about food.
I knew I wanted to create a delicious hot dog for our tailgating episode of Drink & Dish, but I wasn’t quite sure where I wanted to take it, until I had a little brainstorming sesh with one of my favorite foodies, and before I knew it, I was sold on these jalapeno popper dog. I mean, let’s get real here–it’s a hot dog wrapped in bacon topped with jalapeno cream cheese, then topped with more cheese and fresh jalapenos. It is every bit as delicious as it sounds–the flavors, the textures!–and shockingly light in the calorie department. I mean, it’s no green smoothie, but pair it with some veggies, and it is a delicious meal for any occasion.
The cream cheese mixture is easy to make ahead and take with you to your tailgating event, and the hot dogs come together in minutes! They pair perfectly with Nicole’s game day beer punch. Nicole and I both agreed that this episode of D&D has to be one of our favorites. Check it out!
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt, nonfat or low-fat
- 1/2 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed (+ extra for topping)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 low fat all beef hot dogs (or turkey dogs)
- 2 slices center cut bacon
- 2 hot dog buns, preferably whole grain (whole wheat, any whole grain gluten-free option, etc.),
- Approx 2 tbsp freshly shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Place cream cheese, Greek yogurt, 1/2 jalapeno and garlic in food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Wrap a bacon slice around each hot dog and grill over medium heat until hot dog is warmed and bacon is fully cooked, about 4-6 minutes.
- To serve, place cooked hot dog inside a hot dog bun (I always toast mine a little on the grill first). Top with cream cheese mixture, a pinch of cheddar cheese and a few jalapeno slices if desired. Serve immediately.
*Depending on how much cream cheese mixture you like, you may have enough to top a 3rd hot dog if desired.